Equal Opportunity Fellowship
CRC1452 Equal Opportunity Fellowship for pursuing a Master’s
Degree at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
The Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) 1452 – “Catalysis at liquid interfaces” invites applications for
an Equal Opportunity Fellowship. Eligible are international female applicants to one of the involved
study programs at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg that have been admitted for
start in Winter Semester 2022/23.
Candidates for the following master programmes can apply for the fellowship:
Advanced Materials and Processes
Chemical and Biological Engineering
Chemical Engineering – Nachhaltige Chemische Technologien
Clean Energy Processes
The fellowship explicitly aims to support excellent female students with an interest in the research
topics of the CRC. Holders will be able to establish close contacts with the involved projects and
researchers of the CRC and to get to know the scientific topics in detail. Subject to suitability of the
fellowship holder and if both parties are in agreement, the CRC will recruit the holder on completion
of the Master’s programme into the doctoral programme of the CRC.
The following support is offered by the fellowship:
- Financial support: 900 Euro/month over 12 months, starting with the start of the winter
- A student assistant position will be offered as a continuation of the financial support in the
second year, upon successful completion of the academic requirement of the first academic
The fellowship holder will also receive for the entire duration of the Master’s programme (4
- Student associate membership in the Integrated Research Training School of the CRC and,
with this, full access to all training offers and funding measures provided by the programme
- Admission to all training offers and support measures provided by the equal opportunity
- Scientific mentoring by a professor involved in the CRC 1452
- Priority offers of mini-projects or master thesis topics relating to the research fields of CRC
- Participation in all (semi-annual) CRC status meetings including board and lodging
- Prospects for a doctoral position within the Collaborative Research Centre, subject to
motivation and scientific performance
The fellowship holder is expected to:
- Participate in the CRC status meetings and programme offers of the Research Training Group
- Conduct at least one practical project (miniprojects or master thesis) in a research group
involved in the CRC
- Contribute to PR measures (reports / articles for websites, participation in information events)
Eligible are excellent female applicants for a Master’s degree in a degree program at FAU
Erlangen-Nürnberg with relevance to the CRC, with a start in WS2022/23.
A selection interview for the fellowship will take place after screening of candidates.
Based on the interview process, the CRC 1452 Executive Board will select the fellowship holder
The following criteria are used to select the fellowship holder:
- Scientific excellence (as demonstrated by academic grades in the respective Bachelor’s
- Additional relevant qualifications and activities (conference attendance, additional studies,
- CRC 1452-specific expertise and motivation (theoretical or practical knowledge in catalysis,
interface sciences, characterisation of nanomaterials, spectroscopy, or relevant simulation
- Required financial support to be able to participate in the degree program at FAU
The successful applicant will be issued with a letter of confirmation for presentation at the German
embassy / consulate during the visa application process (if required). This letter will be made available
to the applicant electronically. If necessary, the CRC administration can send this letter directly to the
relevant embassy / consulate, quoting the visa processing number of the fellowship holder.
How to apply?
Your application should contain a CV, all relevant certificates, a confirmation of enrolment in one of
the master programs mentioned above, and a motivation letter describing your interest in the scientific
environment of the CRC and your relevant expertise.
Please submit your application as one pdf file, labelled with your First and Lastname and a file size not
exceeding 15 MB using the header: “Application for CRC 1452 Fellowship” to: email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 15.06.2022.